[infinispan-dev] Ability to retrieve a JChannel via multiplexer stack name, where is it gone?

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Dec 3 08:47:03 EST 2009

On 3 Dec 2009, at 10:55, Galder Zamarreno wrote:

> On 12/02/2009 01:58 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>>
>> On 1 Dec 2009, at 12:52, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Re: "* I'm adding the Infinispan 2nd level cache provider to existing
>>> servers that already use JGroups. Should I set Infinispan to use the
>>> same JGroups cluster, or should I use two separate cluster names?" FAQ
>>>
>>> Where is the ability to get a JChannel via multiplexerStack gone? I
>>> don't see any reference to such XML configuration property. Is this
>>> supposed to be hiding behind an
>>> org.infinispan.remoting.transport.jgroups.JGroupsChannelLookup
>>> implementation? I can only see a dummy implementation for it currently.
>>
>> You mean the ability to inject a running Channel into Infinispan so Infinispan doesn't create one?  See
>>
>> 	https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-185
>
> Yeah, the interface is there but there's no implementation for it yet
> though, is it?

There is no such thing as a standard impl.  :)  Any impl you provide will be able to grab a channel from wherever you have it (e.g., in a Microcontainer, etc) and pass it in to Infinispan.

>> The JGroups Multiplexer is deprecated, BTW.  You should configure JGroups with a shared transport for such cases.
>
> AFAIK, the concept of multiplexer is deprecated but AFAIR, when you want
> to run a JBoss Cache instance with 'udp' shared transport, you still had
> to use the ChannelFactory.createMultiplexerChannel(*) methods.
>
> What I'm trying to say here is that currently, I don't see any
> implementation of ISPN-185 that would take the name of a shared
> transport stack, i.e. 'udp', and use that to ask JGroups to provide a
> channel for that.

An impl of JGroupsChannelLookup that you would provide is supposed to either look up or create a channel and pass it to Infinispan.  Think TransactionManagerLookup, exactly the same.

> I mean, users could create such implementation if they want, but we
> should provide one so that they don't have to do so?

What would the default we provide do? :)

> And where are we
> gonna configure the name of the shared transport to join to?

This bit escapes me - AFAIR this is configured in the JGroups stack, used to create a channel, which is passed back via the lookup?

Cheers
Manik