[infinispan-dev] Ability to retrieve a JChannel via multiplexer stack name, where is it gone?

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 05:55:23 EST 2009

On 12/02/2009 01:58 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 1 Dec 2009, at 12:52, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Re: "* I'm adding the Infinispan 2nd level cache provider to existing
>> servers that already use JGroups. Should I set Infinispan to use the
>> same JGroups cluster, or should I use two separate cluster names?" FAQ
>>
>> Where is the ability to get a JChannel via multiplexerStack gone? I
>> don't see any reference to such XML configuration property. Is this
>> supposed to be hiding behind an
>> org.infinispan.remoting.transport.jgroups.JGroupsChannelLookup
>> implementation? I can only see a dummy implementation for it currently.
>
> You mean the ability to inject a running Channel into Infinispan so Infinispan doesn't create one?  See
>
> 	https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-185

Yeah, the interface is there but there's no implementation for it yet
though, is it?

> The JGroups Multiplexer is deprecated, BTW.  You should configure JGroups with a shared transport for such cases.

AFAIK, the concept of multiplexer is deprecated but AFAIR, when you want
to run a JBoss Cache instance with 'udp' shared transport, you still had
to use the ChannelFactory.createMultiplexerChannel(*) methods.

What I'm trying to say here is that currently, I don't see any
implementation of ISPN-185 that would take the name of a shared
transport stack, i.e. 'udp', and use that to ask JGroups to provide a
channel for that.

I mean, users could create such implementation if they want, but we
should provide one so that they don't have to do so? And where are we
gonna configure the name of the shared transport to join to?

> Cheers
> --
> Manik Surtani
> manik at jboss.org