[infinispan-dev] Infinispan smoke tests?

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 10:49:50 EDT 2009

Hi,

Due to the complexity of tests that have been added to the Infinispan
test suite, the time it takes to run the testsuite has almost doubled.
These tests (i.e. distribution rehashing, non-blocking state transfer)
need to be run, that's for sure.

However, I was thinking whether we could create a brand new group of
tests called "smoke". The aim here is for the tests in that group to run
lightning fast and cover 90% of the testsuite.

I think this would help find most of the regressions that are sometimes
introduced for not running the testsuite locally.

Once hudson issues have been solved, we'll be in a better situation but
I still think having this 'smoke' group could help avoid regressions.
Obviously, the danger here is people always running this profile and
then discovering loads of test fails when the entire testsuite is run
but we have this issue now too.

Thoughts?
Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache