[infinispan-dev] Packaging Infinispan 4.1

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Fri Feb 26 07:28:49 EST 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:44:06 +0100, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2010, at 08:46, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:35:19 +0100, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> Now that 4.0 is out the door, I was looking at how we need to package
>>> 4.1.  In 4.0, we had the following:
>>>
>>> infinispan-all: all modules.
>>> infinispan-bin: core, and a few other jars.
>>> infinispan-src: an archive of the SVN checkout for this tag
>>> infinispan-single_jar: all you need to get core working, with all
>>> dependencies re-archived into a single jar
>>> infinispan-server-rest: a WAR file with all deps included for easy
>>> deployment in a servlet container.
>>>
>>> Do we need any new distribution archives for 4.1?  Or does everything
>>> fit into the above?  Specifically, wrt. the new server modules we have
>>> (memcached, hotrod).  Do they simply make it into infinispan-all and
>>> infinispan-bin, with necessary scripts such as startServer.sh and
>>> stopServer.sh ?
>>
>> Apart from adding to -all, you could modify infinispan-server-rest to
>> become infinispan-server and put all server modules in there, i.e. rest,
>> memcached, hotrod.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Maybe; but really the reason why the REST server is in a separate
> package is that it can be encapsulated as a single .WAR file.  This is
> not the case with the other server modules.  But I see your point...
>
> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-358

When writing the reply, I was precisely wondering whether there're be any
particular reason to leave server-rest separate.

Thinking about the use cases though, server-* that is not rest would need
-bin as well to work. So, maybe all is really the best place for memcached
and hot rod to live. In the case of server-rest all dependencies, as you
said, are incorporated in the WAR. However, do we wanna incorporate all
server memcached and server hot rod dependencies, including core and other
jars that core depends on? If we don't, it gets ackward cos u need two
packages to get it working, server and bin. If you do, well, it's a bit of
waste of space, might as well stick with -all.

>>> Cheers
>>> Manik
>>> --
>>> Manik Surtani