[infinispan-dev] Some docs on OGM

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 06:08:28 EST 2011

See below:

On Jan 17, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> On 17 janv. 2011, at 11:39, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Emmanuel, good stuff on getting this done.
>
> Thanks for the feedback, see below.
>

>> Looking at the code, it seems like all entities are stored within the same Infinispan Cache instance called "ENTITIES". In the second level cache we separate each entities 2LC cache into a separate cache instance? I think the latter would make it easier to support situations where certain entities are deployed in classloader isolation and some others are not, and might make it easier to define eviction/expiry settings on a per entity type.
>
> Can you detail what's the classloader isolation issue is about? FYI, I only store "primitive types" just like a database would do. I don't store any high level type.

Right, I see. I'd love to see what the Infinispan cache contains when running your unit tests, is there any easy way to do that from the unit tests? I think this would be handy both from a debugging perspective.

> And for the current goal, eviction policy would be tragic, we would lose data :)

True, but even when memory is large, people might want to configure Infinispan with a cache store to keep memory usage under control? I mean, if your DB runs out of space, the DB data is still there, you can't put more data in it. However, if Infinspan runs out of memory, data is gone unless there's other nodes in the cluster. Use of a cache store is not maybe a good idea, but we shouldn't rule out clients doing this.

> But I agree, when we will target the Grid + JPA we might need some custom eviction policy per entity type though I wonder how we will be able to address query in this case.
> I'll add a todo.

What do you mean by addressing query? How querying will work with eviction on?

>> I cloned the code last week but cannot find OgmcollectionPersister.class ??
>
> It's on the OGM branch
> git checkout ogm
> https://github.com/emmanuelbernard/hibernate-core-ogm/blob/ogm/ogm/src/main/java/org/hibernate/ogm/persister/OgmEntityPersister.java

Read again, I'm talking about OgmcollectionPersister.class, not OgmEntityPersister.java. OgmcollectionPersister.class comes from the wiki.

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache