[infinispan-dev] Fwd: EC2 Demo feedback

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue Jan 25 07:59:10 EST 2011

Thanks for this writeup, Pete.

On 20 Jan 2011, at 14:33, Pete Muir wrote:

> Note, I am intentionally being very dumb when testing out these demos, and giving up at the first sign of trouble to try to simulate a beginner ;-)
>
> 1) I wonder if the instructions would be better off on the wiki, as you need to do steps before opening up the readme really (start the instances, download the zip etc.)

+1.

> 2) Instructions are pretty limited on some stuff, like what EC2 AMI to use, how to get your software on there etc. At least some basics like AMI to use, links to EC2 docs would be nice. (NB I spoke to Marek Goldman and he is publishing an AS6 AMI soon, that would allow us to very easily make these instructions more concrete).

Perhaps it even makes sense for us to publish an AMI with all the necessary bits pre-installed and ready to go?  Including Infinispan, the EC2 demo WAR file, the sample dataset, etc?

> 3) Include details about what ports to open etc.
> 4) Tutorial mentions specific jar versions, best to remove these to make it easier to maintain
> 5) Tutorial mentions a bunch of jars but not where they are in the zip
> 6) Tutorial mentions infinispan-all.jar which I can't find, I guess it means infinispan-core.jar
> 7) Tutorial talks about infinispan-ec2-demo-web.war which I can't find, guess it means modules/ec2-ui/infinispan-ec2-demoui.war
> 8) This tutorial would be much better as a series of steps than as a set of paragraphs, I was missing stuff out (the info is too dense)
> 9) I get this error when deploying the app
>
> 11:01:54,507 INFO  [TomcatDeployment] deploy, ctxPath=/infinispan-ec2-demoui
> 11:01:54,593 INFO  [STDOUT] in CacheServletListener
> 11:01:54,593 INFO  [STDOUT] CacheBuilder called with ${CFGPath}/infinispan-ec2-config.xml
> 11:01:54,595 ERROR [STDERR] java.io.FileNotFoundException: File ${CFGPath}/infinispan-ec2-config.xml could not be found, either on the classpath or on the file system!
> 11:01:54,596 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.infinispan.config.InfinispanConfiguration.findInputStream(InfinispanConfiguration.java:395)
> 11:01:54,596 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.infinispan.config.InfinispanConfiguration.newInfinispanConfiguration(InfinispanConfiguration.java:134)
> 11:01:54,596 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.infinispan.manager.DefaultCacheManager.<init>(DefaultCacheManager.java:243)
> 11:01:54,596 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.infinispan.ec2demo.CacheBuilder.<init>(CacheBuilder.java:23)
> 11:01:54,597 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.infinispan.ec2demo.web.CacheServletListener.contextInitialized(CacheServletListener.java:35)
> 11:01:54,597 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.contextListenerStart(StandardContext.java:3369)

I think most of these would be resolved if we have the demo made available as an AMI.  WDYT?

Cheers
Manik
manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani