[infinispan-dev] Single lock owner - please review

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Thu Nov 3 07:43:03 EDT 2011

On 2 Nov 2011, at 22:43, Paolo Romano wrote:

> Cool stuff Mircea! ;-)
Thanks :-)
> We're actually planning for rebasing our total-order based schemes on this pull, so we look forward to seeing it finalized!
>
> Have you already implemented any mechanism to avoid consistency issues related to inversions of the delivery order of commit messages at different replicas (I mentioned it in some past mail)?
yes, the approach we took was for the node where transaction originated to only release locks (async) after commit is completed. In other words the commit message no longer releases locks but there's an additional async call that would do that after commit finishes.

> Actually, after a second thought I realized that if you only care about eventual consistency you could use a simple scalar clock incremented independently at each primary owner to order the commit events across the non-primary nodes (using the Thomas Write Rule [1] to avoid any blocking).
I'll give it a thought - thanks again for the feedback!