[infinispan-dev] user concerned about lack of "high performance" CacheLoaders

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Mon Oct 24 06:55:42 EDT 2011

On 20 Oct 2011, at 16:18, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Via twitter and Hibernate forums, @astralbodies seems to be doing some
> interesting high performance *writing* stuff with Hibernate Search,
> but in his experience Hibernate Search on disk is pretty fast, not so
> the Search + Infinispan combination.
>
> http://twitter.com/#!/practicallyUX/statuses/126774913884360704
>
> In my own tests, we are quite faster than Lucene's FSDirectory even
> while this uses MMap and NIO tricks, but indeed writing to a sync
> CacheLoader will slow it down significantly, and since the performance
> battle was won by a small margin only (close to 3X);
3X doesn't sound like a "small margin" to me :-)
As a performance note, versions before and including 5.0 forced a long-lasting* WL acquisition in CacheLoaderInterceptor on keys that were not in memory. This was forced even for *reads*, and this might have a big impact on performance. This locking was not needed and dropped in 5.1.BETA1. It would be interesting to see the results with 5.1.

* duration of a cache store interaction