[infinispan-dev] Cluster wide node name uniqueness

Thomas Fromm tf at tfromm.com
Fri May 4 08:47:58 EDT 2012

On 04.05.2012 14:27, Bela Ban wrote:

> How do you know you're in the smaller part ? How do you know there *are*
> partitions anyway ? For example, if we have view V1={A,B,C,D}, and A and
> B get a view V2={A,B} and C and D get V2={C,D}, what are you going to do ?
>
> A and B could think that C and D just crashed, and vice versa.

ATM I use a database to store current node states. When these states are
not updated within a specific time, the nodes are considered as offline.
When they are online, these data contains also the current view. So
every node can decide if its inside the cluster that survives.
I know there are some problems under havy load, when DB can't store
these updates as fast as required. But I have no idea realizing this
without such an "external" storage.
Maybe I'll find later an better solution or a simplified hack .-)