[infinispan-dev] scala code in Infinispan

Manik Surtani msurtani at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 10:50:47 EST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013, at 14:58, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> It's really NOT the same thing: any decent java programmer keeps up with all the enhancements in Java.
>>> What I might not want to - as an ISPN programmer - is to keep up with the language enhancements in Scala. And I might need to do that because of Scala language enhancements used in ISPN.
>>
>> ^ I wonder whether C programmers thought the same way 20 years ago.
> Personally I don't believe Scala is the next big thing as it doesn't have a "killer" feature, e.g. OOP from C -> C++ or GC from C++ -> Java.

That's 20/20 hindsight.  Lots of C developers said OOP was bullish*t when C++ came about, and even today some C++ folks argue than GC is for losers.  :)

As Alan said, I for one look forward to writing all my code in JavaScript but until that day there is a lot of innovation we ought to embrace.  Java's shown itself to be slow to grow and evolve.  Oracle's acquisition of Sun has sped things up a lot, but it still is behind the curve.  There's a good reason why Ruby, Python, Erlang and Scala are gaining popularity.  If you've ever spent any time writing extensive code in any of these platforms you'd understand why.

- M

manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani

Platform Architect, JBoss Data Grid