[infinispan-dev] scala code in Infinispan

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 04:04:35 EST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013 17:51, "Manik Surtani" <msurtani at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2013, at 14:58, Mircea Markus <mmarkus at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 6 Feb 2013, at 15:37, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
> I don't think that encouraging scala code is good purely for maintenance
> reasons. If there's a choice, it should be java. Not saying that learning a
> new language is not cool - but in practice people are a bit put off by
> maintaining Scala code. Its not only about what the writer of the code
> prefers as a language: it's more important what the maintainers of the code
>

> will has to work with.
>

> Would such maintainers also be put off by new language features (lambdas)
> in Java 8 when we (eventually) baseline to it?  :-)
>
>  It's really NOT the same thing: any decent java programmer keeps up with
> all the enhancements in Java.
>
> What I might not want to - as an ISPN programmer - is to keep up with the
> language enhancements in Scala. And I might need to do that because of
> Scala language enhancements used in ISPN.
>

> ^ I wonder whether C programmers thought the same way 20 years ago.
>
> Personally I don't believe Scala is the next big thing as it doesn't have
> a "killer" feature, e.g. OOP from C -> C++ or GC from C++ -> Java.
>

> That's 20/20 hindsight.  Lots of C developers said OOP was bullish*t when
> C++ came about, and even today some C++ folks argue than GC is for losers.
>  :)

Not sure about C developers, but there are plenty of developers in the
functional camp who still say OOP is bullsh*t :)

And many of the GC arguments were only invalidated 10 years after Java came
out, as multi-core became the norm and the GC could use a "free" core.

>  As Alan said, I for one look forward to writing all my code in JavaScript
> but until that day there is a lot of innovation we ought to embrace.
>  Java's shown itself to be slow to grow and evolve.  Oracle's acquisition
> of Sun has sped things up a lot, but it still is behind the curve.  There's
> a good reason why Ruby, Python, Erlang and Scala are gaining popularity.
>  If you've ever spent any time writing extensive code in any of these
> platforms you'd understand why.

Seriously, what do JavaScript, Ruby, Python, Erlang and Scala have in
common? The only thing I can think of is "they're not Java" :)

I think Python is just as slow to evolve as Java, maybe even slower. And
it's not just the language itself, but the community as well: Python 3.0
came out in 2008, yet not everyone is on board just yet (
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5009484).

Scala seems to be on the other end of the spectrum, adding a truck-load of
features every couple of years. My feeling is the Scala guys haven't
learned that every new feature starts at -100 points yet:
http://www.scala-lang.org/node/43<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericgu/archive/2004/01/12/57985.aspx>