[infinispan-dev] Fwd: ISPN-2808 - thread pool for incoming message [feedback]

Pedro Ruivo pedro at infinispan.org
Wed Feb 27 14:10:33 EST 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: ISPN-2808 - thread pool for incoming message [feedback]
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:06:49 +0000
From: Pedro Ruivo <pedro at infinispan.org>
To: infinispan-core-dev at infinispan.org <infinispan-core-dev at infinispan.org>

Hi all,

I'm working on ISPN-2808 and I want some feedback about it (code is here
[1])

I'm starting to implement this feature but I know that Asynchronous
Invocation API is not totally finished in JGroups.

My idea in to use an executor service in CommandAwareRpcDispatcher
(CARD) and when a request (command) is received, it checks if it is
useful to move the command execution to another thread (in this line [2])

For now, I'm thinking to move all the write commands, lock control
command, prepare command and commit command to the executor service
(Note: commit command is only moved when in DIST mode and L1 is enabled).

first question: do you think it is fine to move the commands to the
executor service in CARD or should I move this functionally to the
InvoundHandler?

second question: do you have in mind other commands may block the
OOB/Regular thread and should be moved to a thread in the executor service?

Any other feedback is welcome.

thanks!

Cheers,
Pedro

PS. should I move this topic to ISPN-DEV?

[1] https://github.com/pruivo/infinispan/tree/ISPN-2808
[2]
https://github.com/pruivo/infinispan/commit/a267da0b2a4c785279141a9df192487c7f0fbea2#L19R232