[infinispan-dev] Integration between HotRod and OGM

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Tue Nov 19 05:22:05 EST 2013

It's an interesting approach that would work fine-ish for entities
assuming the Hot Rod client is multi threaded and assuming the client
uses Future to parallelize the calls.

But it won't work for associations as we have them designed today.
Each association - or more precisely the query results to go from an
entity A1 to the list of entities B associated to it - is represented by
an AtomicMap.
Each entry in this map does correspond to an entry in the association.

While we can "guess" the column names and build from the metadata the
list of composed keys for entities, we cannot do the same for
associations as the key is literally the (composite) id of the
association and we cannot guess that most of the time (we can in very
pathological cases).
We could imagine that we list the association row keys in a special
entry to work around that but this approach is just as problematic and
is conceptually the same.
The only solution would be to lock the whole association for each
operation and I guess impose some versioning / optimistic lock.

That is not a pattern that scales sufficiently from my experience.
That's the problem with interconnected data :)

Emmanuel