[infinispan-dev] Infinispan 6.0.0.Final is out!

Adrian Nistor anistor at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 15:08:46 EST 2013

Dear Infinispan community,

We're pleased to announce the final release of Infinispan 6.0
"Infinium". Asannounced
<http://infinispan.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/infinispan-to-adopt-apache-software.html>,
this is the first Infinispan stable version to be released under the
terms ofApache License v2.0
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html>.

This release brings some highly demanded features besides many stability
enhancements and bug fixes:

  *
    Support for remote query
    <http://blog.infinispan.org/2013/09/embedded-and-remote-query-in-infinispan.html>.
    It is now possible for the HotRod clients to query an Infinispan
    grid using a new expressive query DSL. This querying functionality
    is built on top of Apache Lucene and Google Protobuf and lays the
    foundation for storing information and querying an Infinispan server
    in a language neutral manner. The Java HotRod client has already
    been enhanced to support this, the soon-to-be announced C++ HotRod
    client will also contain this functionality (initially for
    write/read, then full blown querying).
  *
    C++ HotRod client.  Allows C++ applications to read and write
    information from an Infinispan server. This is a fully fledged
    HotRod client that is topology (level 2) and consistent hash aware
    (level 3) and will be released in the following days. Some features
    (such as Remote Query and SSL support) will be developed during the
    next iteration so that it maintains feature parity with its Java
    counterpart.
  *
    Better persistence integration. We've revisited the entire cache
    loader API and we're quite pleased with the result: the new
    Persistence API
    <http://blog.infinispan.org/2013/09/new-persistence-api-in-infinispan.html>brought
    by Infinispan 6.0 supports parallel iteration of the stored entries,
    reduces the overall serialization overhead and also is aligned with
    the JSR-107 <http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=107>specification,
    which makes implementations more portable.

  *
    A more efficient FileCacheStore implementation
    <http://blog.infinispan.org/2013/07/faster-file-cache-store-no-extra.html>.
    This file store is built with efficiency in mind: it outperforms the
    existing file store with up to 2 levels of magnitude. This comes at
    a cost though, as keys need to be kept  in memory. Thanks to Karsten
    Blees <https://github.com/kblees>for contributing this!
  *
    Support for heterogeneous clusters
    <http://blog.infinispan.org/2013/09/heterogenous-clusters-with-infinispan.htm>.
    Up to this release, every member of the cluster owns an equal share
    of the cluster's data. This doesn't work well if one machine is more
    powerful than the other cluster participants. This functionality
    allows specifying the amount of data, compared with the average,
    held by a particular machine.
  *
    A new set of usage and performance statistics
    <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2861>developed within the
    scope of the CloudTM project<https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3234>.
  *
    JCache <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3234>(JSR-107)
    implementation upgrade. First released in Infinispan 5.3.0, the
    standard caching support is now upgraded to version 1.0.0-PFD.

For a complete list of features included in this release please refer to
the release notes
<https://issues.jboss.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310799&version=12322480>.
The user documentation for this release has been revamped and migrated
to the new website <http://infinispan.org/documentation/>- we think it
looks much better and hope you'll like it too!
This release has spread over a period of 5 months: a sustained effort
from the core development team, QE team and our growing community - a
BIG thanks to everybody involved! Please visit our downloads
<http://infinispan.org/download/>section to find the latest release.
Also if you have any questions please check our forums
<http://infinispan.org/community/>, our mailing lists
directly on IRC <irc://irc.freenode.org/infinispan>.

Cheers,
Adrian