[infinispan-dev] Today's topic: eviction

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed Nov 27 03:15:16 EST 2013

On Nov 22, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Pedro Ruivo <pedro at infinispan.org> wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 10:08 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>> Hi Pedro,
>> great analysis.
>> Conceptually I agree, and since I'm not too familiar with the core
>> code, I actually expected this to be the case as we discussed the
>> approach when we first discussed the single-lock-owner pattern.
>>
>> More specifically on the DataContainer: I don't think you should lock
>> the segment, you need to lock the key entry only as the CacheStore
>> could be quite slow so that is a "long" lock at least relatively to
>> normal usage.
>
> Agree with you. I based my solution on the current
> BoundConcurrentHashMap [1] implementation that uses locks per segment.
> Also, the eviction is kicked inside this locks so we already have a
> "long" lock to write the entry in the cache writer.
>
> [1] Segment.put():
> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/util/concurrent/BoundedConcurrentHashMap.java#L1554
>

>> This should NOT be the normal key lock however, as you might remember
>> I'm since long time advocating that there needs to be a split in
>> logical "lock" as the user sees it (and as used by transactions) vs
>> the locks we use internally to keep our very own data structure
>> consistency.
>>
>> It's trivial to apply if you use
>>
>>    EquivalentConcurrentHashMapV8.computeIfAbsent(K, Fun<? super K, ? extends V>)
>
> This is a great idea :)

+1

> The EquivalentConcurrentHashMapV8 will solve the problem for unbounded
> data container but we still have to do more work with the bounded data
> container I'm afraid…

We need a BoundedEquivalentConcurrentHashMapV8. The reason we haven't built one yet is because ConcurrentHashMapV8 has been in flux over past few months, so keeping it up to date required some effort. As it gets more stable, we can start looking into a BoundedEquivalentConcurrentHashMapV8. This might be a good time to do it.