[infinispan-dev] XSite Hot Rod client failover wiki

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 04:12:52 EDT 2015

1) Is it really desired to keep the site list in client configuration?
It has always seemed to me great that I can provide only single hotrod
server address to the client and it will figure out all the other nodes.
I can imagine a configuration with one or few well-known nodes (possibly
with capacity factor 0), and the heavy lifting to be done by an elastic
cluster. Especially in AWS or GCE like environments it simplifies the
configuration. The same could hold for the backup sites, though I
understand that this has two downsides:
a) If x-site interface is different from the interface accessible by
clients, we need a mechanism to publish the external-host:external-port
information
b) if this information is per-client, it's easy to set up the order of
backup sites (according to geographical location, to keep the cluster as
close as possible). If that's server based, it may not be possible to
declare that accurately.

2) There should be a way to tell the clients that the original site is
back online, without bringing down the backup site. However, that puts
us back to point 1b) - how should the client know that the another
online site is actually closer, if it does not have it on the list.
Maybe, having an optional list that would declare the priority, with
site names, would be beneficial (client would have
foo.bar.sites=BRQ,LON,SFO but wouldn't have to care about IP addresses).

Radim

On 09/07/2015 06:26 PM, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've written a wiki describing how XSite Hot Rod client failover could work [1].
>
> If you have any comments/doubts/question, please reply :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/XSite-Failover-for-Hot-Rod-clients
> --
> Galder Zamarreño