[infinispan-dev] Lambda Serialization

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 10:07:39 EST 2016

Infinispan, Red Hat

> On 3 Mar 2016, at 16:40, William Burns <mudokonman at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:26 AM Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org> wrote:
> On 3 March 2016 at 15:19, William Burns <mudokonman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I now have a working branch that is using this for the new CacheStream
> > interface [1].
> >
> > With this it allows users to use a stream without needing any casts for any
> > of the intermediate or terminal operations.  Note I completely revamped the
> > BaseStreamTest [2]  So in that case every example a user can find online can
> > be pretty much copy pasted without additional changes, which to me is HUGE.
>
> I agree, it's HUGE! Great work!

^ Awesome stuff! I've just tried it out and it's a huge improvement particularly for out-of-the-box experience and live demos.

> Oh I forgot to mention the 1 caveat with this approach.  If the user defines their Cache or the various collections returned from it as the base type (ie. Map, ConcurrentMap, Set, Collection) this automatic serialization is lost and would require manual casting again.  Normal method chaining keeps this benefit though.  This seems like an acceptable and unavoidable issue to me.
>

> > Unfortunately this causes the API to bloat quite a bit and I had to add a
> > bunch of Serializable* classes (ex. [3]).  The former bloat issue seems
> > acceptable to me, I had thought about making a new separate API, but it
> > seems like it is unneeded to me.  The latter issue I had tried defining the
> > generics on the method itself but the compiler can't quite figure out which
> > method to invoke still [4].
>
> Rather than making many things serializable, did you consider to extend
> our collection of JBoss Marshallers?
> Maybe support for marshalling many of JDK's stream components could
> be contributed directly to the Marshaller project.
>
> I personally haven't looked at this aspect.  To be honest, I was leaning on Galder a bit more here, since he is much more familiar with the Marshalling code.  If we can do this instead I think it would be even bigger.  Unfortunately I don't know how feasible it is.

I'm not sure this is that important. With Will's changes we're trying to improve the out-of-the-box experience by being able to marshall lambdas as they are.

The user can still provide Externalizers for them to make them ultra fast. Also, an Externalizer has no default read/write object implementation, so not sure how we could implement what you suggest in a generic way.