[infinispan-dev] Infinispan documentation

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Mon May 16 07:29:08 EDT 2016

Hi all,

just a heads up on my documentation overhaul plan (incidentally the
WildFly guys are also currently discussing their own documentation
issues too on wildfly-dev).

First of all, I've issued a PR [1] which performs an initial overhaul of
the documentation source files by removing the meaningless "chapter-xx"
prefix, removing obsolete/duplicated sections, replacing mentions of
JBoss AS 7 with WildFly and rearranging some sections so that the flow
is more accurate (i.e. all cachestores as children of persistence,
simple-cache as a child of local-cache, total-order as a child of
transactions, etc).

The following are issues / tasks I would like to tackle in the near future:

- Single page vs multiple pages

While having a single page might be useful in some situation (offline?)
it is cumbersome to navigate and hurts our SEO. Try searching for
"infinispan transactions" and Google still shows the old wiki page.

- Collapsible Table of Contents

Our current TOC is very large (67 lines) and it is always expanded. This
means that readers need to scroll to find what they are looking for. I
think that providing an expandable/collapsible tree would be ideal.

- Merging the guides

By introducing a multi-page approach, the reason to split our different
guides (getting started, user, server, faq) becomes less of a necessity.

- Versioning

Currently the documentation for each version is available under
docs/major.minor/. I would like to have semantic names for our main docs
instead (i.e. "stable" and "dev"). Unfortunately this means that searching

- Alternative formats

Asciidoc makes it easy to produce alternative formats and I think we
should generate PDF, EPUB and single HTML as well available as separate
downloads.

I've been playing with the "webhelp" style available in docbook and I
got [2] (be warned, it's a partial upload) which has many of the
advantages I'm looking for (and more, like an integrated search), but
some shortcomings as well. In particular each web page is ~145KB of
which 132KB of the sidebar, which I guess could be extracted into an iframe.

Comments and suggestions are obviously welcome

Tristan

[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/4345
[2] http://www.dataforte.net/infinispan/configuring_cache.html
--