[infinispan-dev] WildFly NoSQL client integration and Infinispan remote/JDG as a NoSQL client...

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Mon May 16 12:09:46 EDT 2016

Hi Sanne,

Thanks for the response! :-)

On 05/15/2016 06:46 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I don't think that having a default "testdb" would be useful if it
> assumes that the user started an instance of Infinispan Server on a
> "testhostmachine": very likely end users would want to at least change
> the hostname; one might as well add the whole section at that point.

All hostname/port numbers are now defined via the WildFly
socket-binding-group section, so that users can change hostname/port
numbers in the management console.

> It could be more interesting if the user could lookup - eg via JNDI or
> some connection URL - a reference to a client which is exposing the
> same API be it a remote or a local CacheManager instance; in this case
> you could have a local CacheManager instance started by default within
> WildFly and have applications consume this.

When the user looks up a CacheManager, does the remote CacheManager
handle marshalling of application classes?  Or just Java types?

> But is it really useful for people to have a default, predefined testdb?

No, the below testdb is just an example of what might be found in the
infinispan-nosql subsystem.  I assume that the infinispan-nosql
subsystem could reference many different target hosts.

> I wonder if it shouldn't rather be very easy for an application to
> define what it needs, e.g. I'd allow applications to include a
> "META-INF/caches.xml" to list the Caches needed by the application,
> have WildFly create (and manage) these and provide a way for the
> application to lookup the client, or have the client injected.

Is the remote cache a mirror system, that contains the same application
deployments as the client calling in?

I assume that the remote cache is not a WildFly clustered host but
really do not know.  If the remote cache is a WildFly clustered host,
that is already handled via the WildFly dispatcher.  If not, then
authentication needs to be supported for the remote cache clients.

Regarding the "META-INF/caches.xml" idea, I'm not sure yet about that
idea.  Would each client deployment, have its own connection pool to the
remote server?  Or would caches.xml identify shared connection profiles
that are defined in the WildFly standalone*.xml?