[jboss-as7-dev] server-config "group" attribute not writeable

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Fri Apr 29 05:26:22 EDT 2011

On Apr 26, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> There are plenty of config changes that can't be applied immediately to
> a server runtime (e.g. adding or removing a subsystem that handles
> deployment processing.) Those put the server in a "restart required"
> state. We could handle these in the same manner. It requires a little
> bit of extra work to implement, but I don't think it would be a big
> deal. WDYT?

It would be convenient to allow runtime changes the way you describe it.
IMO we should put it on the roadmap and figure out a milestone when we are going to apply them.
But the current conceptual model (create new instead of modify/restart) works and is easy to understand.

Somehow we would need to properly indicate the "restart required" state.
I get the feeling we are not fully aware of all implications at this point.
I.e. what happens when "restart is required" and some of the changes are undone/replaced?
How do you properly (error handling, explaining to the user) distinguish attributes/operations that
lead to this state?

As for the UI side of things, I would require the domain controller to tell when this is the case.
It cannot be distinguished by client itself. Maybe this requires a proper state model for resources?

 I.e. server-config resource state transition:

[S1: applied] -> [S2: pending] -> [S3: applied]

Some questions that jump to my mind:

- Will a resource be "locked" for changes when in state "pending"?
- Can I revert from S2 to S1?

Ike