[jboss-as7-dev] Update on Pull Request Process

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 15:48:38 EST 2011

Hi Everyone,

As I mentioned in an earlier email I have developed some custom testing
automation for pull requests that should result in a faster
request->merge timeline.

As of yesterday, when you submit a pull request, provided that you are
in our whitelist, a full testsuite run of your patch against the current
recent master will automatically be kicked off on a new AS test server.
Note, this means that if you submit an out of date pull (not that you
should), the system will automatically merge it before running the
testsuite. Keep in mind this could lead to different results than your
local run since its a potentially different version (e.g. we merge a
different patch before you merged yours). So the first thing to do when
that happens is to rebase and try and produce the failure locally.

If you do not see this happening, it's probably because you are not in
the whitelist, in which case you will be added after an extra initial
code review.

Once the results are in they will posted as a comment which will send an
email notification to you (and the pull mailing list) with the results
and outcome. Please look these over and correct any issues/regressions
your patch may cause. Unfortunately this server is only visible to Red
Hat associates at this time, so if you are an external contributor and
would like the report just grab someone who is on IRC or make a note in
the pull request and we will send you a copy. In the future we will look
into a way to aggregate the information onto a community site.

At any point in time you update your pull request (add a commit, or
rebase it again) the system will kick off another run. It will not
however kick off additional runs if there are no other changes (would
generate way too much noise and load). When the patch is merged the
person doing the push still needs to do a manual verification due to
this reason.

Finally, we are still working on the intermittent issues in the
environment, so if you get a failure, you may want to compare it to
other runs. The goal of course is to eliminate this problem ASAP.

Thanks

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect