[jboss-as7-dev] Intended deployemnt behavior?

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 12:43:51 EDT 2011

On 7/11/11 11:30 AM, Jim Crossley wrote:
> Max Rydahl Andersen<max.andersen at redhat.com>  writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> 1) no complicated marker file extension state machine required.
>>
>> I don't see how this solution goes solve that - the underlying problem
>> of resources not being fully there is still present.
>
> Well, the idea is that you wouldn't copy the "symlink" until the
> resources were fully there, wherever that may be.
>
> And just so we're crystal clear, Bob wasn't proposing a *real* symlink,
> so OS compatibilities aren't in play here.  He proposed a "conceptual"
> or "poor man's" symlink: a simple text file, containing the path to the
> location of the fully-there resources.
>
>>> 2) it opens the door for us to deploy things that don't necessarily
>>> match "^.*\\.[SsWwJjEeRr][Aa][Rr]$", e.g. our torquebox .knob files.
>>
>> Wouldn't this still require deploy/scanner specific code for you?
>
> Maybe, but I hope not.  In AS6, we had a way (structure deployer?) to
> describe a valid-but-non-standard deployment artifact.

It's not about whats standard or not, it was more about not trying to
deploy things that would ultimately fail. We could easily add something
that allows an extension to register additional supported deployments.

We didn't add it off the bat because everything EE uses JAR now instead
of inventing new extensions.

--
Jason T. Greene