[jboss-as7-dev] Help adding a native Hibernate 3.x unit test

Karel Piwko kpiwko at redhat.com
Fri Jul 15 08:50:24 EDT 2011

Hi All,

see comments inline.

Karel

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 01:19 -0400, Scott Marlow wrote:
> We already include org.hibernate:hibernate-core:jar:4.0.0.Beta1 and I
> want to test against org.hibernate:hibernate-core:jar:3.6.4.Final.
>
> It is possible that the org.hibernate:hibernate-core:jar:3.6.4.Final
> artifact will not be in the local maven repo, when the unit test starts.
>   If the ShrinkWrap maven resolver would download it into the local
> maven cache, we should get good enough performance (similar to if the
> artifact was downloaded during the build).

MavenDependencyResolver will act exactly that way, if the local
repository contains the artifact, it will be fetched from there, if not
remote repositories will be touched.

If you want to make it super fast, you can enforce it to work in offline
mode.

If you want to ensure it won't pollute your build repository, you can
point it to completely different local repository.

> If its easy, clean, fast to use the ShrinkWrap maven resolver, That
> sounds like the best solution (rather than having multiple versions of
> the same artifact in the build).

The biggest advantage w.r.t. using jar stored in filesystem is that it
can resolve transitive dependencies if you want it to do so.

> On 07/14/2011 06:59 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
> >
> > That scenario is possible with any maven artefact that the built relies on. AFAIK the ShrinkWrap maven resolver will use the version cached in the local repository, so it is no different to any other maven dependency.
>
> That sounds encouraging for what I want to do...
>
> > Stuart

> I don't know the ShrinkWrap internals either.  It really depends on the
> implementation and whether it uses the local maven repo.

MavenDependencyResolver is using Aether, which is a repository
abstraction used in Maven as well. Yes, it does use a local repository
and it is able to recycle most of the configuration either in
settings.xml or pom.xml.