[jboss-as7-dev] AS7 testsuite extension

Rostislav Svoboda rsvoboda at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 05:08:58 EDT 2011

Hi Brian, thank you for your reply, comments are inline.

> On 7/19/11 7:12 AM, Rostislav Svoboda wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I would like to discuss how to extend AS7 testsuite, my suggestion
> > is to create 2 new modules:
> >
> > -- management
> > Tests for management APIs, probably separate submodules for cli,
> > http api and java api tests.
> >

> Makes sense. The existing testsuite/domain module could be moved into
> here. It's essentially testing management of a domain via the java
> api.
>
> IMO management tests of standalone servers should be segregated from
> tests of a managed domain.

Agree, submodules should be named domain-http, domain-cli, domain-java, standalone-http, standalone-cli and standalone-java.
Maybe one submodules for shared tests and resources.

> > -- multi-node
> > Tests with several instances (managed by DC or several standalone
> > servers) on one machine.
> > Cluster, failover, session replication tests should be present in
> > this module.
>
> The testsuite/clustering module is for this purpose.

So we should propose some changes for this module, it's currently running against one standalone server and contains only one test.
I think testsuite/clustering will have several submodules to cover different scenarios, positive test can have server execution automatically  managed by ARQ. Negative tests (failovers) must have server execution managed by ARQ but controlled from testscases (ARQ-336 [1], FailoverTestCase.java [2]).

> > ARQ with DC support is needed, start/stop/kill support for instances
> > managed by DC is needed too (ARQ-336 is designed for standalone),
> > maybe start/stop/kill for DC will be required too.
> >

> I regard that as a nice to have, not a requirement. HA functionality
> is
> orthogonal to how the servers are managed; a testsuite of Paul's HA
> features based on launching multiple standalone servers is ok. The
> actual HA services inside the servers have no clue whether they are
> running in a standalone server or a managed domain.

OK, I agree with that, DC is only about server management, no effect on AS7 functionality. My point about ARQ with DC support is more about message to users, we really recommend to use DC, but we don't use it in our tests ...
Several standalone server in cluster are sufficient to verify that clustering functionality is working properly.

> Note also that ARQ with DC support is not needed for management tests of domain.

But I steel need ARQ to start DC (using managed mode). Could you please explain how do you mean your note?

> > Module structure should be similar to DOC-69049 [1] with submodules
> > to share tests, prepare servers and to execute tests.
> >

> Hopefully in 95%+ of cases "prepare servers" can consist of altering
> the
> server/domain launch command to point at the appropriate writable
> directory, config file and module path.

We don't want to store configuration xml files in repository, we would like to prepare necessary configuration using management API. We have quite bad experience with configuration stored in xml files for testing, at least when development is still going on.
Plan is to keep "prepare servers" as simple as possible. But still I want to have appropriate prepare module for each test module to keep it straightforward when searching for possible problem - in one module is configured server and in second is test which should work.

If I'm not wrong, pointing ARQ to custom configuration xml file can be done in arquillian.xml by defining element property named serverConfig under configuration element.

> > What do you think about suggested changes?
> >
> > Rosta
> >
> > [1] https://docspace.corp.redhat.com/docs/DOC-69049

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer