[jboss-as7-dev] How to install a JDBC driver as a module via CLI or console?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 10:02:55 EDT 2011

On 6/6/11 2:15 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>
>>> when creating a datasource.
>> As a deployment, it's easy. But deploying it as a module is more
>> involved and most of it is
>> boilerplatehttp://community.jboss.org/wiki/DataSourceConfigurationinAS7#Installing_a_JDBC_driver_as_a_module.
>> So I was thinking if we should simplify adding it as a module via
>> admin console (autogenerate the module.xml and other stuff based on
>> the user input) or even the CLI perhaps. Having said that, I don't
>> know how many users will be opting for deploying the JDBC driver as a
>> module.
>

> The question is: why would you chose a module configuration opposed to a
> deployment?
> To be honest, I cannot tell the difference. It will probably have a
> different scope/visibility, no?

This post on a separate thread explains the use case for using a module:

http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2011-June/002313.html

At this point the assumption is that modules are provisioned by the end
user as part of their process of install the AS on the system. That is,
the users copy the module to the modules/ dir. As Jason mentions above,
at some point we'd like to add capabilities to the management layer to
assist users with this. But it's not going to happen for 7.0 and isn't a
critical requirement for 7.1.