[jboss-as7-dev] Cleaner welcome page

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Jun 10 12:56:23 EDT 2011

> Perhaps better to just make it fixed as localhost:9990. In the default
> configs, the interface for the management sockets is configured
> separately from the ones for other services, so changing the others to
> some non-localhost value will not affect the management socket. The
> users have to intentionally decide to keep them in sync, and my guess is
> they won't do that by default.

Ok - i've removed the javascript magic so its just basic localhost:9990 in the pullrequest.

>> I also wanted to add info about how to change the welcome page but I don't have the info available
>> so for now just kept it simple.
>
> Deploy a war with / as its context path. I assume the magic ROOT.war
> name still works, but haven't tried it.

ROOT.war gives this kind of error:
18:39:38,914 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-3) Starting deployment of "ROOT.war"
18:39:39,131 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-3) MSC00001: Failed to start service jboss.web."ROOT.war": org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.web."ROOT.war": Failed to start service
	at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1696)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886) [:1.6.0_24]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908) [:1.6.0_24]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680) [:1.6.0_24]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Root contexts can not be deployed when the virtual host configuration has the welcome root enabled, disable it and redeploy
	at org.jboss.as.web.deployment.WebContextInjector.inject(WebContextInjector.java:56)
	at org.jboss.as.web.deployment.WebContextInjector.inject(WebContextInjector.java:37)
	at org.jboss.msc.inject.CastingInjector.inject(CastingInjector.java:55)
	at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl.doInject(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1482)
	at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl.access$2000(ServiceControllerImpl.java:47)
	at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.performInjections(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1709)
	at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1670)
	... 3 more

So that doesn't work ;)

Setting enable-welcome-root=false did though so I added that as a foot note on the welcome page in the pull request and now
the page looks like this: http://screencast.com/t/Crau0rOIk3p

If anyone got a better/shorter version of the explanation - even more awesome :)

But please merge some of this in so we get rid of that 1mb welcome page.

/max