[jboss-as7-dev] JBoss AS 7 Getting Started Guide for developers + Docs repo

Jesper Pedersen jesper.pedersen at jboss.org
Wed Jun 15 08:27:37 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 06:25:38 AM Pete Muir wrote:
> > Before everybody starts to think about it - here is my suggestion as
> > attached.
>
> IMO a lot of this content is a general admin guide.

Yes, we should rename the directory.

> The getting started
> guide should be very simple and just cover a few config topics. My list
> would be:
>
> * App server layout
> * Logging configuration
> * Adding a datasource
> * Getting started with the management console
> * Getting started with the CLI
>
> Anything else should be bumped to a general admin guide - don't want to
> overwhelm people!

Agreed. I started on the admin guide, since it contains the documentation for
all the subsystem settings - the biggest part of the doc. Since this
information is coming from the XSDs most of it should be done already.

Once we have that it should be easy to extract the "Quick Start" guide from it
-- I'll take a look at a potential outline.

Maybe the preface / introduction can be shared between all the "big" guides...
I do that for the IronJacamar guides...

> I would suggest a similar approach for developer guides. What we have now
> for the getting started guide shouldn't be expanded on too much. When we
> add docs for using every feature in EJB or CDI, this should go in the main
> Developers Guide.

Agreed. However I see most of the information being in the project specific
docs - and the Developer Guide more of a place where it is described how the
techs related, and a basic getting started from a programming PoV.

Best regards,
 Jesper