[jboss-as7-dev] Configuration conundrum with Express

Scott Stark sstark at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 00:07:52 EDT 2011

Yes, hopefully. We can have a multi-valued reference like the following
that would allow for the env-vars openshift uses, system properties, as
well as defaults:

<datasource jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/MysqlDS" enabled="false"
use-java-context="true" pool-name="MysqlDS">
<connection-url>jdbc:mysql://${env.OPENSHIFT_DB_HOST,mysql.host:localhost}:${env.OPENSHIFT_DB_PORT,mysql.port:3306}/${env.OPENSHIFT_APP_NAME,mysql.dbname:test}</connection-url>
<driver>mysql</driver>
<security>
<user-name>admin</user-name>
<password>${env.OPENSHIFT_DB_PASSWORD,mysql.password:admin}</password>
</security>
</datasource>

I'll shoot something your way once I have it working.

On 10/18/11 11:07 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> hmm - with this we could actually end up having a shareable standalone.xml between openshift and local that doesn't
> need any alterations.
>
> The trick is only to get agreement on what property/environment names it will use.
>
> Scott - once you got a standalone.xml that has these things in place could you share it and i'll investigate how much
> work we would need to do to support launching AS7 locally with all those variables present.
>
> p.s. system properties would be our recommended approach since messing with environment variables and java launches
> have a history of being unreliable cross platform ;)
>
> /max
>

> On Oct 19, 2011, at 01:22, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> On 10/18/11 5:34 PM, Scott Stark wrote:
>>> Thanks. I'll check against the attributes I'll need and raise issues to
>>> address those I find missing.
>>>
>> Thanks; that will be very helpful.
>>
>>> One issue I see is that we are only looking to System.getProperty(name)
>>> for the value of an expression in the org.jboss.dmr.ExpressionValue
>>> class. The expressions I'm typically using need to be queried using
>>> System.getenv(name). Would it be ok to fallback to a System.getenv(name)