[jboss-as7-dev] Configuration conundrum with Express

Scott Stark sstark at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 00:30:43 EDT 2011

On 10/18/11 11:14 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Right, so, can we have a tools "configured server" notion that takes the standalone.xml at a given point, a cli batch file, and overwrites the standalone.xml and reapplies the batch file as a configure operation?
> I can easily see us having a "Apply CLI batch…" action or similar which I (guess?) would have to use the local AS7 CLI command to execute them against a server.
Correct.

> Not sure I fully follow your "configured server notion" - do you mean that we would bundled a "openshift setup" containing of a standalone.xml + cli file that users "apply" to the server ?
>
> Trying to think where that would fit in…
I mean that the "configured server notion"  would include:
- a reference to the jboss server install to use for the binary bits to run
- a separate standalone.xml configuration that would be used anew each
time the server is started
- one or more cli files that would be run against the new server
configuration each time it is started

>> In general this will be different from the remote/cloud environment even if one can use env/system property references because I'll have my desktop using a different database than in the remote env for example. Maybe the way to handle this is to have multiple scripts, one for the commands common to each environment, another for the configurations that differ more fundamentally based on the services available in the environment.
> not sure how to handle that without exposing a lot of complexity to the user…;(

It is the same as the "configured server notion" above, but with a given
openshift application git repository there would be:
.openshift/config/cli
.openshift/config/app-cli

The .openshift/config/app-cli would correspond to those specific to the
application, and would probably be all that were required for jboss
tools to run against a local server when deploying the application. The
.openshift/config/cli would be the commands needed to run in the
openshift server environment, and would be generated by the jbossas7
cartridge as needed based on the application setup, embedded cartridges
such as mysql, etc.