[jboss-as7-dev] Two thread pools sections in management API

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 11:18:12 EDT 2011

The name issue wouldn't be quite so bad if we introduced some contract
for each subsystem to introduce a unique name for their pools, and maybe
another optional level of naming if they have more than one pool
"namespace" in a subsystem.  Then a centralized view could be pretty
intuitive: "Thread Pools -> EJB -> ..."

On 10/20/2011 10:12 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> I struggled with that global view a bit over the last week.
>
> I was thinking about approaching it as having it be a set of resources
> in the threads subsystem that are basically just views onto the real
> resource, which would exist in JCA, EJB etc.
>
> That's not very satisfying. Leads to things like having to avoid
> conflicts in pool names across subsystems. Plus it would be pretty hard
> to implement.
>
> I was noodling a bit this morning about separating the UI issue from the
> core model a bit. The core model (in the threads subsystem) could just
> provide resources addresses (and maybe a bit more metadata) about pools
> configured elsewhere. The resources for pools would be consistent
> throughout the model (e.g. a bounded-queue-thread-pool that supports
> blocking would have the same attributes, ops, etc everywhere). The
> console could use the info from the threads subsystem to discover all
> the pool configs and then build a nice UI.
>
> I suspect that's a problem for JON though. The CLI of course wouldn't be
> able to produce a nice unified view, but IMHO that's not a critical problem.
>
> On 10/20/11 8:16 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Right. What happened is we found out that having thread pools be global
>> promotes sharing, which is usually an error since each subsystem needs
>> specific configurations. We were planning on adding a global view that
>> would see all the subsystems' thread pools so the administrator can
>> easily identify which were in use however I don't think it was completed
>> yet. Even though we neat them in the subsystem we still want them to be
>> consistent.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Oct 20, 2011, at 5:58 AM, Heiko Braun<hbraun at redhat.com
>> <mailto:hbraun at redhat.com>>  wrote:
>>

>>> no, but if possible they should rely on the default schema (xsd) for
>>> defining inlined thread pool configurations.

- DML