[jboss-as7-dev] Two thread pools sections in management API

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 11:12:36 EDT 2011

I struggled with that global view a bit over the last week.

I was thinking about approaching it as having it be a set of resources
in the threads subsystem that are basically just views onto the real
resource, which would exist in JCA, EJB etc.

That's not very satisfying. Leads to things like having to avoid
conflicts in pool names across subsystems. Plus it would be pretty hard
to implement.

I was noodling a bit this morning about separating the UI issue from the
core model a bit. The core model (in the threads subsystem) could just
provide resources addresses (and maybe a bit more metadata) about pools
configured elsewhere. The resources for pools would be consistent
throughout the model (e.g. a bounded-queue-thread-pool that supports
blocking would have the same attributes, ops, etc everywhere). The
console could use the info from the threads subsystem to discover all
the pool configs and then build a nice UI.

I suspect that's a problem for JON though. The CLI of course wouldn't be
able to produce a nice unified view, but IMHO that's not a critical problem.