[jboss-as7-dev] Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 10:05:30 EST 2012

On 1/20/12 5:13 AM, Weinan Li wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2012, at 7:07 PM, Radoslav Husar wrote:

>>> I've tried to kill domain controller and the requests are forwarded to
>>> slave host, and sessions are not lost. Cool!
>>>
>>> Another question: can domain controller be also support failover?
>>
>> Now that's a question for Brian :-)
>>
>> But if I remember correctly, this was not coming in 7.1, I cant seem to find the Jira for it.

No, we don't support failover of the domain controller. We haven't made
it a priority because:

1) Servers don't need a running domain controller in order to handle
requests.

2) Administrators can still interact with slave host controllers to
administer them and their servers. They just need to connect to them
directly. This includes being able start new servers and read metrics
from the servers. Reading metrics would be a common reason why admins
would want immediate access to the servers.

3) It's fairly easy to start a new domain controller; all you need is a
in AS7 installation and a copy of the latest domain.xml. Any host
controller can be configured to maintain a copy of domain.xml by passing
the --backup-dc arg to domain.sh.

What you lose without a running domain controller is

1) The ability to make any changes that involve changing something
stored in domain.xml.

2) The convenience of being able to use the domain controller as a
single contact point for administering other hosts/servers. You can
still use the CLI or any custom client you have to contact them directly.

3) The admin console.

> Get it, thank you for help Rado :-) Anyway, I've finished writing this article in Chinese about AS7 Clustering with all your help (I believe this is the first *complete* step-by-step article about how to setting up a working domain+clustering AS7 on internet):
>
> http://bluedash.net/t/cd1e78c90099c8b8aadf7a1884b56669

Excellent!

Although now I'm depressed to realize how many characters I've forgotten. ;)