[jboss-as7-dev] purpose of jboss.node.name and how to set.

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 10:17:11 EST 2012

On 03/08/2012 06:21 AM, Wolf-Dieter Fink wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about the purpose of 'node-name' and how to set it.

The purpose is to have a unique identifier for a server.  There are
several libraries and frameworks which expect this.

> I found out that the nodes name is required for UserTransaction and also
> a notice:
>
> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/Clustered+EJBs
> If it's on the same machine, the two things you have to make sure is
> that you pass the port offset for the second instance and also make sure
> that each of the server instances have a unique jboss.node.name system
> property

Right.

> ==== standalone ====
> In this mode the only way to set is to use '-Djboss.host.name='.
> I try to use
> <server name="MyNode" xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:1.1">
> OR
> <system-properties>
> <property name="jboss.node.name" value="MyNode"/>
> </system-properties>
>
> but both won't work (I check with EJBClient.getUserTransaction(
> node-name ) ) but get the error "No EJBReceiver available for node name
> MyNode".

Then this is a bug.  You should be able to specify the node name in the
name attribute of <server> and that's it.  If that isn't working then
there's a bug.

> ==== domain ====
> I try to check whether the <server name=""> work and use also the
> system-properties element inside each server.
> But both attempts won't work (with EJBClient.getUtx).
> The server name from the configuration is shown always by mgnmt console
> and not reflect the system-properties setting, but the property inside
> the application is set by the system-properties element.

Same bug, probably.

> ==================
>
> I'm confused because I expect that I can see the node name (as server
> name) in the console and use the <server name=> also for
> getUserTransaction.
>

> My Questions about:
> - what is the purpose of node-name (except user identifier for console),
> only a identifier for clustering?

As above.  It's an identifier for Remoting, clustering, and other
subsystems.

> - Should the node-name in mngmt console and the property jboss.node.name
> get by an application getProperty the same?

Yes.

> - am I right that it a bug that the node-name in standalone.xml or
> host.xml won't work for getUserTransaction and I should raise a JIRA?

Yes.

> - is it possible that other functions are affected by this?

Yes.

--
- DML