[jboss-as7-dev] ipv6 "usability" question

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri May 25 11:20:05 EDT 2012

On 5/25/12 9:18 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> The JDK IP address parser will accept [], I believe, but it's not a
> valid address.

Yes; the reason -b [::1] works is because InetAddress.getByName("[::1]")
works. It's not a case of the AS exerting effort to allow it to work;
we'd have to add code to make it not work.

> I'd say that we should allow [] but not recommend it.

Agreed. If the AS stops supporting it we will break people who for
whatever reason have needlessly added the []. If we do that we need to
have a good explanation (almost a FAQ) as to why we made that choice.