[jboss-as7-dev] ipv6 "usability" question

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri May 25 15:19:29 EDT 2012

>> The JDK IP address parser will accept [], I believe, but it's not a
>> valid address.
>
> Yes; the reason -b [::1] works is because InetAddress.getByName("[::1]")
> works. It's not a case of the AS exerting effort to allow it to work;
> we'd have to add code to make it not work.

gotcha.

>> I'd say that we should allow [] but not recommend it.
>
> Agreed. If the AS stops supporting it we will break people who for
> whatever reason have needlessly added the []. If we do that we need to
> have a good explanation (almost a FAQ) as to why we made that choice.

yup.

>> For tools, it's a question of parsing the IP address (getAddressByName
>> should do it), determining if it's a nameless IPv6 address, and if so,
>> escaping it; not too onerous a burden in my opinion.

not sure where that getAddressByName is ? you mean getByName(str) from http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/InetAddress.html ?

But that is going to do a dns lookup - and those are damn slow if they don't exist on some OS's.

Now that I've realized ipv6 is pure evil from a usability side the the way I'm thinking is that we will
assume the address is "raw" and if we need to create a url we will do this:

public static String formatPossibleIpv6Address(String address) {
        if (address == null) {
            return address;
        }
        if (!address.contains(":")) {
            return address;
        }
        if (address.startsWith("[") && address.endsWith("]")) {
            return address;
        }
        return "[" + address + "]";
    }

and if we need the raw address we wont do the above and then it depends on the lower layers
to treat it nicely ;)

lower layers here means parts of eclipse we can't change to do these kind of escaping or unescaping which
might be necessary in some places too.

/max