[jboss-as7-dev] ExternalContextMBean replacement?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 11:42:37 EDT 2012

I've heard a few times of people looking for a replacement of the
functionality provided by the old ExternalContextMBean in AS v < 7.

1) Are there any workarounds or alternate approaches that can provide a
similar thing? David Lloyd mentioned "maybe via @Startup @Singleton with
a bind statement or something...". I'm not sure if bind() does the
trick, since AIUI what's needed is a new subcontext, not a binding in an
existing context.

2) If not, what would it take to allow binding a reference to an
external context into the server JNDI tree? I had a very brief look at
this, and it seems context's are actually MSC services that follow a
particular service naming pattern. Is some sort of SPI to solidify that
contract an option?