[jboss-as7-dev] ExternalContextMBean replacement?

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 11:55:14 EDT 2012

On 10/04/2012 10:42 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> I've heard a few times of people looking for a replacement of the
> functionality provided by the old ExternalContextMBean in AS v < 7.
>
> 1) Are there any workarounds or alternate approaches that can provide a
> similar thing? David Lloyd mentioned "maybe via @Startup @Singleton with
> a bind statement or something...". I'm not sure if bind() does the
> trick, since AIUI what's needed is a new subcontext, not a binding in an
> existing context.
>
> 2) If not, what would it take to allow binding a reference to an
> external context into the server JNDI tree? I had a very brief look at
> this, and it seems context's are actually MSC services that follow a
> particular service naming pattern. Is some sort of SPI to solidify that
> contract an option?

There are certain requirements for federation that are specified here:

http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/jndi/spec/spi/jndispi.fm.html

That said, we do support programmatic binding, but I'm not sure we
support automatic federation through bindings that happen to implement
or yield a Context.  That's really the question.

--
- DML