[jboss-as7-dev] Guidelines for managing management API versions of subsystems

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 10:50:24 EDT 2012

On 10/7/12 5:16 PM, Tomaž Cerar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a new version of mgmt model is required when change is incompatible with
> previous model.
> basically if you would take your current model and try to apply it to
> previously released version of subsystem, would it work?
> If no, then new version is required & transformers has to be written to
> make sure compatibility in domain mode is preserved.

Note that transformation only needs to be done if it can actually do
something useful. For example, the jacorb change made "0" a valid value
for some attribute. If a config includes that new value, a slave running
the old version won't be able to deal with that "0" and it's also not
correct to transform it into a "1". So the slave will just have to
ignore that profile, or if that's not possible the slave will have to be
upgraded before a config with "0" can be applied.

Tomaz had the good idea of recording these kinds of issues on the master
HC and making them visible through the management API so even if the
slave is ignoring the resource, admins could still find out what the
compatibility issues are. When we implement that some day I suspect
using a transformer to record the information but do nothing else will
be how it gets implemented.