[jboss-as7-dev] On security context and propagation

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 12:16:17 EST 2013

On 03/01/2013 01:10 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 3/1/2013 6:22 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> So for entry to the server making use of HTTP and SASL based
>> authentication backed by an IDM instead of JAAS and then converting the
>> loaded identity into a Subject does sound good.
>>
>> One point to keep in mind that is different from the JAAS population of
>> Subjects however is that the IDM approach is not currently expecting to
>> load roles pro-actively for an identity, instead it is expecting to
>> respond to isCallerInRole type checks as and when role checks are
>> required.  Applications however do have a finite set of roles used so
>> there are options here.
>>

> Not sure what you're saying here, but the IDM API needs to be able to do
> more than isCallerInRole().  See my previous examples.

I think that the next step in exploring this idea would be to figure out
exactly what this would mean - how to integrate with, or replicate, our
existing IDM API(s), what we need to be able to store on/get out of the
security context itself - basically start with use cases and move on to
requirements from there.

Bill had good examples of propagating bearer tokens between EJB and REST
or other services, and I think he's asking the right questions.  Keeping
in mind (and leaving aside) that this may or may not be appropriate for
AS 8, what other use cases and requirements are there for the security
context itself?
--
- DML