[jboss-as7-dev] On security context and propagation

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 13:32:39 EST 2013

On 3/4/2013 12:16 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 01:10 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>

>> On 3/1/2013 6:22 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>> So for entry to the server making use of HTTP and SASL based
>>> authentication backed by an IDM instead of JAAS and then converting the
>>> loaded identity into a Subject does sound good.
>>>
>>> One point to keep in mind that is different from the JAAS population of
>>> Subjects however is that the IDM approach is not currently expecting to
>>> load roles pro-actively for an identity, instead it is expecting to
>>> respond to isCallerInRole type checks as and when role checks are
>>> required.  Applications however do have a finite set of roles used so
>>> there are options here.
>>>

>> Not sure what you're saying here, but the IDM API needs to be able to do
>> more than isCallerInRole().  See my previous examples.
>
> I think that the next step in exploring this idea would be to figure out
> exactly what this would mean - how to integrate with, or replicate, our
> existing IDM API(s), what we need to be able to store on/get out of the
> security context itself - basically start with use cases and move on to
> requirements from there.
>
> Bill had good examples of propagating bearer tokens between EJB and REST
> or other services, and I think he's asking the right questions.  Keeping
> in mind (and leaving aside) that this may or may not be appropriate for
> AS 8, what other use cases and requirements are there for the security
> context itself?

I don't understand why you'd even consider taking a step backwards.  The
AS7 SecurityContext (via Picketlink) already has the ability to get and
set role mappings and permissions.  This provides a large measure of
flexibility and allows developers to implement custom security protocols
through standard components i.e. servlet filters.  The IDM API should be
for fetching security metadata, thats it.  I don't see why you'd want
the IDM API to be anything more than that.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat