[jboss-as7-dev] Parallel maven build: 33% improvement

Alessio Soldano asoldano at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 11:27:41 EDT 2013

I've done few tests with this in the past on the JBossWS project and
basically came to the conclusion that real improvement from parallel
execution would have come only from running multiple integration tests
at the same time (given my integration testsuite module run is much
longer then the rest of the build), so I preferred starting to use the
surefire parallel test execution instead.
Depending on how the project is split into modules, the maven 3 parallel
execution might still help, cxf for instance builds in parallel here (-T
4) in quick and reliable way on my i7 M 620.

Cheers
Alessio

On 03/25/2013 04:17 PM, Paul Robinson wrote:
> All,
>
> I tried telling maven to use all my cores (8 if you count hyper-threaded
> cores) and I've seen a 33% reduction in build times. Here's my results:
>
> ./build.sh clean install -DskipTests3:43
> ./build.sh clean install -DskipTests -T 42:57
> ./build.sh clean install -DskipTests -T 82:30
>
> I'm using an SSD, so YMMV.
>
> However, there are 4 plugins that are not marked as @ThreadSafe, so i'm
> not sure how safe this is.
>
> [WARNING] org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-help-plugin:2.2 (Can't find an
> issue for this yet)
> [WARNING] org.codehaus.mojo:buildnumber-maven-plugin:1.2 (Claims to be
> fixed in 1.2: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MBUILDNUM-13)
> [WARNING] org.codehaus.mojo:xml-maven-plugin:1.0
> (Unresolved: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MOJO-1709)
> [WARNING] org.kuali.maven.plugins:properties-maven-plugin:1.5.3
> (Unresolved: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MOJO-1677)
>
> For more info on parallel  maven builds:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/parallel-builds-in-maven-3.html
>
> Has anyone else experimented with this feature?
>
> Paul.
>
> --
> Paul Robinson
> Web Service Transactions Lead
> paul.robinson at redhat.com <mailto:paul.robinson at redhat.com>
>
> JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Brendan Lane (Ireland), Matt Parson
> (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss