[jboss-cluster-dev] [Fwd: Re: Infinispan in JBoss AS]

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 13:14:40 EDT 2009

Manik Surtani wrote:
> I know this should be a separate thread, but isn't building two separate
> management mechanisms counter-intuitive?  E.g., I was hoping JOPR could
> provide standalone cluster/grid management for Infinispan as well.  I am
> in Stuttgart next week to speak at their JUG and am hoping to catch up
> with Heiko Rupp to discuss this stuff.
>
> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-126
> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-127

Where we draw the line was a topic discussed recently with the JON team.
The consensus was that the management APIS of the AS need to encompass a
cluster/domain, while JOPR manages multiple clusters/domain. There is no
duplication here because both management views (jopr or embedded jopr)
expose the same capabilities using the same central control point (the
as profile service management api).

This is for the following reasons:

1) The embedded console needs to be capable of doing it
2) Users/customers need to be able to automate this programmatically
from their own provisioning tools, scripts etc.
3) Consistency between the cluster configuration and the management view.
4) The cluster manager is in the best position to control rolling
updates (configuration or deployment).

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat