[jboss-cluster-dev] [Fwd: Re: Infinispan in JBoss AS]

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 13:42:47 EDT 2009

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2009, at 18:14, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>
>> Manik Surtani wrote:
>>> I know this should be a separate thread, but isn't building two
>>> separate management mechanisms counter-intuitive?  E.g., I was hoping
>>> JOPR could provide standalone cluster/grid management for Infinispan
>>> as well.  I am in Stuttgart next week to speak at their JUG and am
>>> hoping to catch up with Heiko Rupp to discuss this stuff.
>>> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-126
>>> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-127
>>
>> Where we draw the line was a topic discussed recently with the JON
>> team. The consensus was that the management APIS of the AS need to
>> encompass a cluster/domain, while JOPR manages multiple
>> clusters/domain. There is no duplication here because both management
>> views (jopr or embedded jopr) expose the same capabilities using the
>> same central control point (the as profile service management api).
>>
>> This is for the following reasons:
>>
>> 1) The embedded console needs to be capable of doing it
>> 2) Users/customers need to be able to automate this programmatically
>> from their own provisioning tools, scripts etc.
>> 3) Consistency between the cluster configuration and the management view.
>> 4) The cluster manager is in the best position to control rolling
>> updates (configuration or deployment).
>
> Good.  Then in seems like JOPR will evolve into something I can use for
> this, based on the information I expose to JOPR via JMX.  Perfect.

Right, they are also wanting to tackle advanced provisioning use-cases
like pushing bits to nodes.

However, the above description means that you still need to provide a
management API that would apply and persist configuration changes to the
infinispan grid that survive restart (this is what the profile service
does). In the AS that's not a problem because Brian's profile service
integration would manage all of this. However in a standalone mode you
would either have to implement something specific to infinispan, or
alternatively find a way to reuse the profile service + clustering
pieces in the AS.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat