[jboss-dev-forums] [Design the new POJO MicroContainer] - Re: MAVEN: build change

Kevin.Conner@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 11 10:15:06 EDT 2007

"adrian at jboss.org" wrote : Can you explain what the pros and cons are?
The negative side is that the transitive dependency analysis performed by certain versions of maven appears to be flawed.  The specific example I had this morning was caused by the inclusion of two different versions of jboss-test in our poms.  The old version was disabled but this also disabled some of the dependencies of the newer version!

The consequence of this was that a number of tests within deployers-vfs were failing because the oswego library was no longer on the classpath.
"adrian at jboss.org" wrote : I asked for all dependencies to be explicitly listed in the super pom in the build project and only that version used.
This is what I have done.  They are now listed in dependencyManagement sections and these supplement the dependency specifications in the pom.  This can still be overridden locally if needed.

"adrian at jboss.org" wrote : I don't know whether Maven supports such a configuration.

  | i.e.
  | 1) raise an error if there is a conflict
  | 2) raise an error for non-explicit transitive dependencies

I don't believe there is any way to force the build to terminate if you have a conflict.  The resolution mechanism gives precedence to the version which is configured closest to the pom IIRC, unless it is specified in the dependencyManagement section.

"adrian at jboss.org" wrote : It would have to be done on all dependent projects as well, e.g. the current common
  | release is a mess as far as this concerned. Even its own internal project
  | references are out-of-step. :-)
Yes, that would also need checking in that case.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4062999#4062999

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4062999