[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Portal] - Re: Initiall identity model discussion

Antoine_h do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Jul 15 09:50:14 EDT 2007

By the way : a description field for the Role would be good.
This help understand what is the role (when there are many of them).
Open a jira on that ? or keep it in the list of many things to do for Identity evolution ?

********************************
I like business role.
I have just extended the User and Role objects and services, to manage "portal and business process".
I call them UserPortalBP and RolePortalBP.

The idea is to have a User (and Role) that offers some general properties for portal, and some properties and methods for business process needs (in the same instance).

Example : access to a ProductCatalogAdminPortlet is related to the role/permission of "productViewer", "productModifyer" (modify only), "productAllControl" (create, suppress...).
Those 3 roles must access to the portlet (GUI).

In the JSR, there is a mapping of Portal roles and application roles (for EJB, etc...). I remember it is ok, but not usefull enough : don't want to write that in the portlet descriptor... no management tools etc....

So : create a RolePortal, with
  - an API that provide a RoleExtension interface : getRoleExtension(), setRoleExtension(RoleExtension re)
  - RoleExtension extends Role interface
  - Check the usual User and Role methods against this extension too : use of a patron pattern to delegate some treatment to the RoleExtension implementation
That's the way I see it...

********************************
For user belong to community, user belong to role/group.

I am not sure that a "belong to" relation is enough and/or efficient for managing the roles of the business process requierements.

in the JBPM documentation (Boleslaw post):
anonymous wrote :
  | Note that the user-roles model as it is used in the servlet, ejb and portlet specifications, is not sufficiently powerful for handling task assignments. That model is a many-to-many relation between users and roles. This doesn't include information about the teams and the organisational structure of users involved in a process.
Recently, an expert of this kind of stuff told me that : Rule management of users and permissions are much better than just "belong to a role". It avoid to create thousands (not kidding) of roles to map the needs of companies (subsidiaries, departments, teams, ...).
Rule say : If user is in departement A, then he has the permission of permissionGroupF + permissionGroupG - permissionGroupH

This is much more powerfull to create and maintain Users and Permissions.

I think the idea is good, but did not have an opportunity to do it since.
I will probably implement something with JBoss Rule, over my RolePortalBP.

May be the JBoss Rule team as yet seen something about this.

For Role Group
It could be implemented with rules.
"belong to group" rule could be a simple use of rule.

This allow some developper to extend role/group management to some more powerful management, using rules.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4064309#4064309

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4064309