[JBoss-dev] Rebuildable jbossall-client.jar

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at jboss.com
Thu Aug 24 11:51:44 EDT 2006

We have historically had pluggable web service stacks in JBoss AS,
typically for the purpose of backwards compatibility. More recently, we
have also been providing updates that are pluggable on a particular
version of AS. For example, right now you can update a 4.0.4 instance to
use jbossws 1.0.2. I am sure that as time goes on other projects will be
doing similar things.

The problem with providing pluggable components in AS is that if any
part of that component is contained in jbossall-client.jar, it is likely
to contain conflicting or stale classes.

I can envision two solutions:
1. It is the responsibility of the component provider to have some kind
of install process that updates the jbossall-client.jar.
2. We provide a jboss/bin/rebuild-allclient.sh that reconstructs the
jar.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
-Jason