[jboss-dev] RE: Plan for next JBossAS 4.x releases

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at jboss.com
Thu Nov 2 10:51:01 EST 2006

+1 on independent EJB3 module.

Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Maintenance Engineer
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Nasser [mailto:fnasser at redhat.com]
Sent: 02 November 2006 15:47
To: Ivelin Ivanov
Cc: Dimitris Andreadis; jboss-development at lists.jboss.org; jboss-as at redhat.com; Andy Miller; Scott M Stark; Sacha Labourey; Patrick McDonald; QA; Shaun Connolly; Ram Venkataraman; Support Team (not including Core Developers); Remy Maucherat; Mladen Turk
Subject: Re: Plan for next JBossAS 4.x releases

Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
> Thank you, Dimitris. The plan looks great.
>
> Since 4.2 will be aligned with the release of the first JBoss
> Enterprise Platform App Edition, which includes SEAM and EJB3, I would
> suggest adding these major features to the roadmap early and begin
> immediate discussion on scoping the amount of work required.

Also, due to the way updates are handled in RHEL systems, this will also
be the release where JBoss Portal wil run on.

One thing we need to do as soon as possible, like next week, is to make
sure the AS, SEAM and PORTAL teams agree on the versions of all
thirdpart dependencies, which we will be locked into for quite some time.

> Respectively, JBEP Web Edition will be a subset of App Edition, which
> will also include SEAM, EJB3 and newer version of jgroups. A parallel
> discussion would need to occur as soon as possible regarding the
> organization of the source code structure and JIRA for these
> dependencies.

We really need to have EJB3 as an external module as Dimitris suggests.
  With its own SVN source tree, etc.

Regards to all,
Fernando