[jboss-dev] RE: Plan for next JBossAS 4.x releases

Carlo de Wolf carlo.dewolf at jboss.com
Fri Nov 3 06:13:11 EST 2006

Easier said than done. Currently the ejb3 project is tightly coupled to
the AS. I would like to see an ejb3 module which is binary compatible
across multiple AS versions (4.2, 5.0, 5.2 and maybe 4.0.5). For names
sake call this one ejb3-core. For the different AS versions we would
have to build abstraction layers (Bill already has a lot in). The
components ejb3-core would depend on must be downwards compatible across
all AS versions (no more let's upgrade component x and shift
compatibility problems to ejb3).

I propose we move ejb3x to a separate project asap and make it a binary
dependency in all the branches. This one is simple and binary compatible
across all AS versions. It only depends on j2ee project. (Note: JavaEE 5
API changes are in j2ee.)

while keeping dependencies limited and managed. Then create
ejb3-abstraction-layer-5.0. By then we should tackled the problem and we
move the stuff to projects.

Okay, Brock me.

Carlo