[jboss-dev] Re: [Fwd: Re: [JBoss JIRA] Commented: (JBAS-5072) Fix null pointer exception when getting keys, values, or entry's in the ConcurrentHashmap]

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 09:10:24 EST 2007

Adrian Brock wrote:
> Copying to the main dev-list.
>
> Yes, you can change it. But ideally you should test it first.
> i.e. checkout the jbossxb 1.0.0SP1 tag
> and modfiy the build to use update1
>
> That's what compatiblity means. ;-)

Who has to do that is the JBoss XB developer, not Jay, as they may have
the proper testing procedure.  Alternatively, he can let it go through a
complete QA cycle first, inside a CP release, if he feels confident the
changes are absolutely backwards compatible.

> This clearly wasn't done for the brew release
> since there's no maven release for that.

The product line is not using update1.  When it does, it will be based
on the opinions of the developers that work on the product and it will
be fully tested by the QA department (and jbossxb developers if that is
deemed necessary).

> Which is another reason why brew is bad.

So, contrary to what you say, the -brew versions are much safer than
binaries that have not been properly QAed.

Furthermore, adding <compatible> lines or not is a developers procedure,
has NOTHING to do with how it was built.