[jboss-dev] jboss i18n and localization (l10n)

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 04:54:41 EDT 2007

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>> what is that PO stuff?
>>
>> PO files are pretty simple:
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#PO-Files
>>
>> Basically they are text files carrying the original text and their
>> translations made by the translator.  Our translators have tools
>> for and are quite familiar with working with them.
>
> ...but does our (the other part of the Open Source World) community have
> access to it ? Is it cross platform (linux,windows,mac or in short java ?)

We used po stuff to translate the diffrent JBoss AS guides in French,
using Mac, Windows and Linux, so yes you have the tools, and i actually
'liked' the tools, it's not perfect but better than dealing with plain
docbook.

The advantages i could notice:
	- possibility to 'mark' keys as dirty (need rework)
	- possibility to add bookmarks if i remember well
	- easy to see what is not yet translated

But i'm pretty relectant to use gettext for JBoss Portal localization.

Also, it's still a pure translation tool, not something that would help
you keep your code in sync with the property files for example.

Now you mentioned tools for Eclipse, i'm curious to hear about. I never
looked at this. You mentionned an article ? Which one ?